Top 10 Tips to Help Keep Your Cholesterol in CheckEastmed
Our pharmacists’ top 10 tips to help keep your cholesterol in check:
1) Only drink alcohol in moderation.
2) Exercise regularly – take up a sport or add active habits to your days like afternoon walk or gym session.
3) Avoid/quit smoking.
4) Eat less saturated fat – choose lean meat (chicken breasts over thighs), reduced fat dairy products and limit other foods that are high in saturated fat (e.g cakes, fast food & processed food).
5) Eat carbohydrates with low GI index – e.g. whole grain bread, brown rice, long grain rice, beans and soy product.
6) Eat oily fish (fish that are high in omega 3) – e.g. Salmon, mackerel or sardines regularly.
7) Snack on raw nuts (rich in unsaturated fat) – rather than chocolate or chips.
8) Eat more fruit and vegetables – ideally at least 5 servings a day.
9) Use less salt and sugar in cooking.
10) Have your cholesterol checked regularly by your GP.